Aeronautics Division Program Manager (Planning Specialist VI)
Description of Job
In support of the development of a forward-looking multi-modal transportation system in the 21st century, CDOT’s Aeronautics Division promotes partnering with its public and private constituents to enhance aviation safety, aviation education, and the development of an effective air transportation system through the efficient administration of the Aviation Fund.
Under the direction and oversight of the Aeronautics Division Director, this position supervises, plans, directs, develops and provides day to day oversight of the Aeronautics Division’s various programs, including but not limited to the Colorado Discretionary Aviation Grant (CDAG) program, airport capital improvement programs, Web-Based Information Management System (WIMS), statewide pavement management programs, Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) 5010 airports inspection program, the mountain Automated Weather Observing Systems (AWOS) program, the U.S. Department of Agriculture (USDA) Wildlife Hazard Management program, the Division’s airport internship program, airport surplus equipment program, Division planning initiatives and various Division safety and education initiatives.
Major duties and responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Supervise, plan, direct, develop, and provide day to day oversight of the Division’s various programs and initiatives (listed above);
- Develop and recommend Division strategy, policies, and guidance, including overall program plans, goals, objective, and milestones for efficient and successful implementation of Division programs;
- Responsible for the strategic development and implementation of the Colorado Discretionary Aviation Grant (CDAG) program and state airport capital improvement programs;
- Responsible for the planning and management, compliance monitoring, and review of CDAG grants and cooperative agreements of statewide impact;
- Work closely with Division staff, FAA personnel, airport sponsors, consultants, CDOT Business Office staff, and CDOT Audit Division staff to ensure effective program implementation and compliance with rules and regulations;
- Directly supervise aviation planners, including administrative and human resource management functions relative to the staff supervised, including staff development, training, mentoring, and coaching; establish and communicate performance expectations and guidelines;
- Serve as project manager for the Web Based Information Management System (WIMS) which provides information to airports and allows individual accounts for each airport for electronic planning, grant applications, and grant management;
- Work with the Division’s Automated Weather Observing Systems (AWOS) Program Manager to coordinate and implement the contracted maintenance and improvement of the AWOS program;
- Responsible for general facility oversight, including preparing facility maintenance and capital improvement plans and budgets, overseeing and delegating day to day facility management and maintenance, and coordinating with the Division’s landlord and CDOT staff on ground lease, maintenance, and administrative lease matters;
- Other job duties as assigned.